Welsh Witterings: Good Old Fashioned Comfort Food – Cheese and Potato Pie
Seldom things are as simple or comforting as a cheese and potato pie on a cold wintry night. Cheap and easy to prepare this meal is great for busy families and quick fix dinners.
Serves: serves 4-6
- 2 pounds, potatoes , boiled & mashed
- 2 ounces butter
- 1 pound grated mature cheddar
- ¼ teaspoon English mustard powder
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 2 tablespoons double cream
- Butter a large casserole dish.
- Add the butter to the mash and beat well. Add the beaten eggs, beat in really well.
- Add HALF of the grated cheese, cream, mustard powder and mix well, the mixture should form a soft dropping consistency. If too dry add a little milk.
- Pour into the greased casserole dish and level with a spatula, then sprinkle over the remaining grated cheese.
- Bake at 190 degrees centigrade/gas 5 for 15 to 20 minutes or until bubbling and golden brown
Serve as a stand alone dish, with red cabbage, buttered leeks, spinach or a seasonal salad