Welsh Witterings: Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake
I must confess that I was a bit worried about how this recipe for chocolate mayonnaise cake would turn out, but the results are a moist and deliciously rich cake.
For the cake
285g self raising flour
225g caster sugar
1½ teaspoon baking powder
200g full-fat mayonnaise
8 tablespoons cocoa powder
8.floz boiling water
1tsp orange flower water
- Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, orange flower water & mayonnaise until well combined.
- Dissolve the cocoa in the boiling water & stir into the mixture along with until completely incorporated and well blended.
- Place the mixture into a 7 inch greased & lined cake tin. I find a loose bottomed cake tin best for this recipe.
- Bake at gas mark 4/ 180C/ 350F for 40 minutes.
- It is essential to cool the baked cake in the tin before removing
- Enjoy and debate whether to tell anyone that the cake contains mayonnaise!