Welsh Witterings: Coconut and Brazil Nut Curry – a Delicious Vegan Dish
This creamy Coconut and Brazil Nut Curry is perfect served with brown rice to soak up the creamy nutty sauce. A perfect quick and healthy dish and it is a mild and creamy curry that children and spice detesters tend to find palatable.
200g brown rice
2 tsp vegetable oil
1 onion sliced
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 tsp madras curry powder
100g shelled Brazil nuts
400ml coconut milk
2 medium sized courgettes , chopped
1 small cauliflower, cut into small florets
150g broccoli , cut into small florets
2 handfuls of fresh coriander, chopped
cook the brown rice
Place in a large saucepan and pour over 500ml cold water. Bring to a rolling boil and then reduce the heat to a gentle simmer.
Cook for 30 mins then remove from the heat.
stir in a handful of chopped coriander
Quickly cover with a lid and leave tightly covered for another 5-10 mins to absorb any remaining water.
- Whilst the rice cooks, heat the oil in large saucepan and gently fry the onion, curry powder and garlic for 5 minutes
- blitz half of the Brazil nuts in a food processor so you have a finely ground nut meal
- add the ground nuts and coconut milk to the pan and stir
- add the vegetables and bring to the boil
- reduce to a simmer and cover the pan, simmering for 8 minutes or until the vegetables are tender
- roughly chop the remaining Brazil nuts and stir into the curry just before serving
- serve with rice and a sprinkling of fresh coriander