Ersham Road Tawny Owl

At the moment the majority of calls we are receiving are about road casualties.  Kathy and I rushed out to a Tawny Owl hit on the road not far from Piltdown Pond near Uckfield. The caller was unable to wait with the owl but give good directions and landmarks making it easy us rescuers to find the bird. Good directions and landmarks if you can’t wait can make a big difference and speed up the rescue. The owl doesn’t appear to have any fractures and is rather stunned and concussed so emergency medication was given and then delivered to our Casualty Centre.

A lovely Tawny owl came in after being found on Ersham Road Hailsham, rescuers Brian and Jen attended and delivered him to our casualty centre. He is a bit underweight but no obvious injuries other than initial concussion. Our vets were happy with his condition the following day but due to his weight he is being kept in for a while before release.

Rescuers Karen and Chris attended a fox that was sadly hit by a car on the A27 near Falmer at the weekend. Sadly it had died on arrival.

Rescuer Tony preparing for the Swan Rescue off Golden Jubilee Way

Rescuers rushed to a badger at Horney Common near Maresfield unable to move and just lifting its head. The finders placed a towel over the badger to help keep him warm. Rescuers arrived on site within 20 minutes and managed to secure the badger carefully despite it protesting. The badger was very frightened and aggressive out of fear, vulnerability and discomfort. I was rather conconcerned so spoke to one of our WRAS Vets who authorized emergency medication out on site. We then drove the badger back to WRAS’s Casualty Centre at Whitesmith where it was checked over better. The lack of response in the rear legs was worrying, so our vet authorized x-rays of the lower spine but these didn’t reveal anything. In order to get x-rays of the upper spine the badger needed to be sedated, so Vet Mike attended and under sedation and further x-rays were taken. Eventually damage to the spine was discovered right up near the shoulders as a result we had no option to euthanase the badger.

Brydges Close Eastbourne Fox Release

However, we have got our road casualty fox from Brydges Close Eastbourne back home. Rescued a few weeks back after being hit by a car he could barely stand. He had nasty cuts and a wound that needed treatment. He has made massive improvements and our vets signed off his release. A bit reluctant at first but once he realised where he was he was gone!

The injured swan off Golden Jubilee Way

Rescuers Tony and Chris rushed to attend a young swan next to the Golden Jubilee Way bypass after a motorist saw the swan hit power lines. After an extensive search, Chris and Tony found the swan in one of the small rivers. Using nets and a swan hook Chris managed to push the swan towards Tony who hooked it out of the water. Chris assessed on site and stopped a bleed on it’s beak. It was then taken to the hospital and first aid given. He stayed with us for a few days before being released at Princes Park.

Well done rescuer Tony who has managed to catch and release several squirrels trapped inside wood burning stoves over the past week.

Pleased to have a break in the wet weather last week allowed us to get 8 of our young feral pigeons out to the release pen. Included in this group are two speckled white black and grey pigeon who survived Young Bird Sickness.  We are after an additional bird release site, if anyone has a suitable and secure piece of land.

Our two guillemots and the Great Skua are all doing well and developing nicely too.


Rescuers from East Sussex Wildlife Rescue & Ambulance Service (WRAS) were called out just after 9am this morning (6TH Feb 2018) to a Fallow Buck with an antler entangled in rope.  Although the rescuers have dealt with these types of rescues before, this one was more challenging due to the vegetation and branches surrounding the deer, making the approach and capture of the deer much more difficult and dangerous.

Rescuers Trevor Weeks MBE, Chris Riddington and Kathy Martyn erected a specialist net called a “walk-towards” net around one side to try and restrict the deers movement or but there were not use the net was going to be much use on this occasion. These nets are normally used to entangle and gain better control over the deer to with capture.

“At first we thought we might have to do a ‘leg-grab’ to pull the deer to the floor in order to gain control, but luckily the deer tripped up landing on the ground giving Chris an opportunity to jump onto the shoulders and pin the deer to the floor. I quickly joined him taking control of the deer of the deer. Leaving Kathy to start cutting the rope” said Trevor Weeks.

The rope between the tree and a post on the ground had been used to help support the tree, but now the tree was leaning over with its branches all around where the rescuers were working.


Rescuers have 30 minutes in these circumstances from the point of capturing the deer to releasing in or the deer could suffer internal injuries or have a heart attack. On this occasion the quick and efficient work of the rescuers meant the rescue took no more than 4 minutes.

“We were very lucky that there was only a small amount of rope entangled on the antler. But where it had twisted round and round it made it very difficult to cut through” said Kathy Martyn.

“Once the deer was cut free and the walk-towards net removed, it was time to release the deer. This can be just as dangerous as the capture if you don’t know what you are doing and don’t communicate with your fellow rescuers. As I was on the shoulders it came down to me to control the release.  Kathy stood clear, and after deciding which way Trevor and I were going to move, it was a case of 3,2,1 and release. I’m glad Trevor didn’t have to move out the way too far as his wellington boot became stuck in the mud so he had to leave that behind” said Chris Riddington.

The deer ran off across the field through the hedgehog and into a woodland where it quickly disappeared.


“It always makes me wonder if the deer thinks it has escaped from us or whether it knows we have released it” said Trevor.


VIDEO: This video is available free of charge for use by local media to East Sussex only, like local BBC news, Meridian News, BBC Local and commercial radio stations in East Sussex UK only. For all other use please contact Trevor Weeks on the above number.






Trevor Weeks MBE

Founder & Operations Director


East Sussex Wildlife Rescue & Ambulance Service (WRAS)

Reg Charity 1108880


Office: 01825-873003

24Hr Rescue Line: 07815-078234

Trevor’s Private Mobile: 07931-523958



Unit 8 The Shaw Barn, Whitesmith, East Sussex, BN8 6JD.