Lewes Police HQ Pregnant Bat

The long nights and lack of sleep have continued. I’m trying my best to recover this week whilst Chris is on call.  He too is experiencing numerous late night call-out and early morning starts.

Friday night last week I was called out to Sussex Police Head Quarter in Lewes after a member of staff found an injured bat.  The pipistrelle bat was taken to WRAS’s centre where it was warmed and give first aid. The bat had a few tissue wounds to its wing but nothing serious. The following day I delivered the poor creature to Jenny Clark at her Bat Hospital at Forest Row were the bat was found to be pregnant.

Ben Hands over Ambulance Keys

We were called to The Drove pub at Newhaven last week after a starling found itself trapped inside the pub. When we arrived the starling was flying round in a high ceiling area at the corner of the pub. After a couple of attempts to catch the bird it disappeared, but we didn’t see it fly off so ladders were used to climb up to the beams where a small hole was found which the starling had managed to get inside. After going through all the equipment we carry on board the ambulances we couldn’t find anything suitable to help us get the bird out. Eventually we borrowed a long handled ice cream spoon and after prise the top of the hollow beam up slightly the spoon was inserted and used to encourage the starling back to the entrance of the hole. It was a struggle to gain control over as I couldn’t get my hand inside the gap. But eventually after a struggle the bird was secured. Once outside we were able to release the bird to fly off up to a near by tree.

Injured Uckfield Duck

We have had yet another shot gull, this time from Polegate. Rescuer Murrae collected the bird at the weekend which had damage to its shoulder. On x-raying the bird it was found to have two air gun pellets lodged in its shoulder.

A poorly duck had to be rescued in Uckfield after being found by a commuter at Uckfield train station. The finders rang Folly Wildlife Rescue who asked us to attend. Rescuer Hannah collected the duck that had been left with the ticket office. Once back our centre Hannah and Centre Manager Chris assessed the duck and found he had a nasty open fractured wing. Emergency first aid was given and the wing supported. The bird was then taken up to the Swan Sanctuary for their vets to assess and operate on.

X-ray of Polegate Gull

We have officially launched our latest veterinary ambulance this week. The ambulance which was funded by Eastbourne Co-ops, Atlantic Rower Daryl Farmer and Polegate lad Ben Sherlock. Young Ben and Atlantic Rower Daryl handed the keys over to me by Decoy Pond Hampden Park on Tuesday evening. A huge thank you to everyone who has sponsored Ben or Daryl or chose WRAS as their chosen charity at the Eastbourne Co-op stores.

Chris and I were called to a house in Uckfield this week after they found feaces in a upstairs storage room. They thought it might be a fox and asked us to investigate as they though the fox might be inside the house. Expending this to just be a look round and advisory visit we were surprised when it suddenly turned into an emergency cat rescue. The feaces had mice bait in and we found two eye staring at us from under the floor boards.  It an amazing 60 minute rescue the cat was eventually freed after cutting through three floorboards. The cat was rushed to Henley House Vets in Uckfield where it was given emergency treatment. Luckily the cat called “Ringo” was microchipped and the owner found and contacted. He stayed at the vets overnight being monitored and was luckily allowed home the following day. The family were delighted to have him back as he had been missing for several days. Ringo is doing well but due blood tests to check that no lasting damage has been caused.

Seaford Mayor awards WRAS’s Trevor

Big thank you to the 2016/17 Seaford Mayor, Councillor Lindsay Freeman, who presented me with a Seaford Mayor Award for my work in setting up WRAS and for providing an “invaluable service to the residents of Seaford” and the local wildlife. I was surprised by the award and accepted it on behalf of everyone at WRAS. The charity is way bigger than me now and I feel very proud of everyone for all the hours they put in helping to keep our charity providing its life saving work, without people like Kathy, Katie and Chris who work 15-20 hours a day on a regular basis WRAS wouldn’t exist.