The library at Arundel castle where ghosts have been seen

The library at Arundel castle where ghosts have been seen

By Wendy Hughes
Ten miles from Worthing in the town of Arundel sits the magnificent Arundel Castle that was founded on Christmas Day 1067 when William the Conquerer, having successfully invaded England won the throne. One third of Sussex as well as lands in the Welsh Marches was granted by William I to Roger de Montgomery, a cousin of William’s, as a reward for remaining in Normandy to keep law and order whilst William was busy conquering England.
When Roger de Montgomery died, the castle reverted to the crown under Henry I who in turn willed it and the surrounding land to his second wife Adeliza of Louvain. Three years after Henry died she married William d’Albini II, the first Earl of the d’Aubigny family of Saint-Martin-d’Aubigny in Normandy, and it was he who built the stone shell keep on the motte.

2nd Earl of Arundel

2nd Earl of Arundel

Since 1138, Arundel Castle and the earldom, except for it occasionally being returned to the crown, have passed through the generations as the seat of the Dukes of Norfolk. The 16th Earl had planned to give the castle to the National Trust but the 17th Duke instead created an independent charitable trust to protect the castle’s future which is currently in the hands of the 18th Duke and remains the principle family home. The castle was severely damaged by fire in the 17th century, but was been restored to its former glory.
In 1846 Queen Victoria (1819-1901) with her husband Prince Albert came from Osborne Castle for a three day visited and was enterained by Henry Charles, 13th Duke of Arundel. For the occasion the bedroom and library furniture was commissioned by a leading London designer. Also a portrait of Queen Vistoria was commission by the 13th Duke.

Arundel Castle

Arundel Castle

Arundel Castle is also the home of several ghosts, and some claim there are at least seven! The saddest of all must be the spirit of a small boy who is thought to have worked in the kitchens around 200 years ago. It is believed that his master used to beat him, and one day he beat him so severely that the poor boy died. His ghost has been heard on many occasions, scurrying around the kitchen, or feverishly scrubbing the pots and pans, but never seen.
An apparition of a man has been seen in the library, wearing clothing of the Charles II period and has now become known as the ‘Blue Man’ because he is dressed in blue silk garments. He has been seen by custodians and appears to be searching through or reading the books although it is never the same book, and he only stays for a minute or two before disappearing. He has been seen since 1630 and perhaps he is searching for some lost fact, or an inventory or a will? The library is also haunted by a little black dog that belonged to St Philip Howard, 13th Earl of Arundel, during the reign of Elizabeth I. The Earl was sentenced to death for failing to renounce the Roman Catholic faith, although the sentence was never carried out and he spent eleven years in the Tower of London accompanied by his dog. He died in 1595, and was canonised by Pope Paul VI in 1970, as one of the Forty Martyrs of England and Wales. Several of the guides at the castle have been asked, always by
children, whose little dog wanders around the library, but as yet, no adult has ever
reported seeing the dog.

dining room at Arundel castle

dining room at Arundel castle

An unusual ghost is that of a small white bird seen fluttering around the windows of
the castle on many occasions, always before death of a resident at the castle. This
would appear to indicate the imminent death of someone connected to the castle
and has included the death of Henry, 15th Duke of Norfolk in 1917.
The ghost of a young lady, dressed in white, can be seen at Hiorne’s Tower situated
in Arundel Park, in the grounds of the castle. It is an excellent example of a folly,
noted for its odd triangular construction and was built in the late 18th century by the
architect Frances Hiorne to show off his skills to the Duke of Norfolk. Legend informs
us that the lady killed herself by jumping off the tower when rejected by her lover and
she can be seen from the top of the tower looking for him.

Hiorne Tower

Hiorne Tower

The tower became a favourite filming location for Dr Who in the 1980s, and was also
the setting for invasion of Cyberman, a cult BBC programme in 1888.
The most recent sighting of a ghost was by a trainee footman in 1958. It was his
duty to switch off the drawbridge lights in the evening, and this particular night he
was half way along the drawbridge when he was aware of someone about 15 feet in
front of him going in the same direction. As he got nearer to the person he could see
the head and shoulders of a man, who was wearing a light grey tunic with loose
sleeves. He had longish hair and he guessed he was in his early twenties. The
footmen said the image was like an old photograph with the outline blurred, and he
could see nothing below waist level. As he walked on the apparition seemed to fade
and then disappeared completely. The terrified footman ran back along the
drawbridge and forgot to switch off the lights.

-Arundel-Park-Hiorne-Folly

-Arundel-Park-Hiorne-Folly

About Wendy Hughes

Wendy turned to writing, in 1989, when ill-health and poor vision forced her into early medical retirement. Since then she has published 26 nonfiction books, and over 2000 articles. Her work has appeared in magazines as diverse as The Lady, Funeral Service Journal, On the Road, 3rd Stone, Celtic Connections, Best of British, and Guiding magazine. She has a column in an America/Welsh newspaper for ex-pats on old traditions and customs in Wales. Her books include many on her native Wales, Anglesey Past and Present, The Story of Brecknock, Brecon, a pictorial History of the Town, Carmarthen, a History and Celebration and Tales of Old Glamorgan, and a book on Walton on Thames in the Images of England series, a company history and two books on the charity Hope Romania. She has also co-authored two story/activity books for children. Her latest books are: Haunted Worthing published in October 2010, a new colour edition of The Story of Pembrokeshire published in March 2011, and Shipwrecks of Sussex in June 2011 and Not a Guide to Worthing in 2014. She is working on a book entitled A-Z of Curious Sussex which will be published in 2016 Wendy also works with clients to bring their work up to publishable standard and is currently working on an autobiography with a lady that was married to a very famous 1940’s travel writer. Wendy has spent many years campaigning and writing on behalf of people affected by Stickler Syndrome, a progressive genetic connective tissue disorder from which she herself suffers. She founded the Stickler Syndrome Support Group and raises awareness of the condition amongst the medical profession, and produces the group’s literature, and has written the only book on the condition, Stickler The Elusive Syndrome, and has also contributed to a DVD on the condition, Stickler syndrome: Learning the Facts. She has also writing three novels, Sanctimonious Sin, a three generation saga set in Wales at the turn of the century, Power That Heal set in the Neolithic period entitled Powers that Heal, and a semi biographical book entitled New Beginnings which deals with two generations coping with blindness and a genetic condition. She has also had a handful of short stories published, and in her spare time is working on several at the moment. She also gives talks on a variety of subjects including Writing and Placing Articles, Writing Local History, Writing as Therapy, Writing your first novel, etc, and runs workshops on the craft of writing – both fiction and non-fiction. She is a member of the Society of Women Writers and Journalists, and a member of the Society of Authors.