Love Your Leftovers – rescue those on the turn veggies
If you have a selection of peppers, courgettes, tomatoes, aubergine and onions – or you have any combination of these past their best, there is no need to turf them out as food waste instead you can cook them into a ratatouille or pasta sauce. Or, why not make them into a healthy lunchbox salad and save even more money.
My recipe for Mediterranean Roasted Vegetable and Pasta Salad takes only minutes’ preparation and the vegetables cook slowly in the oven, caramelising a little to add extra sweetness. Absolutely delicious as a healthy lunchtime treat or add feta cheese to make it a main dish.
To serve 4 as a lunchbox salad
400g mixed vegetables (courgettes, peppers, mushrooms, onions, aubergine etc)
200g farfalle pasta
4 tablespoons soft cheese
1tsp crushed garlic
100g washed baby spinach leaf
50g black olives (pitted and halved)
2 tbsp olive oil
½ tsp dried basil
½ tsp dried oregano
2tbsp balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
Preheat your oven to 180◦c , fan 160◦c, gas mark 4
- Check your vegetables over and remove any mouldy or bad parts. Wash the vegetables and then cut into bite sized chunks and slices
- . Combine the vegetables and place in a shallow roasting dish.
- Whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, basil, oregano, garlic and salt and pepper.
- Drizzle the sauce over the mixed vegetables and toss to coat.
- Roast vegetables until tender, which should take about 45 minutes. Stir halfway through the cooking time to ensure even cooking and prevent sticking.
- meanwhile cook the pasta according to the pack instructions, drain the pasta into a colander and run under cold water until cool, return to the saucepan.
- add the cooked vegetables to the cooled pasta and then stir in the cream cheese.
- leave to cool completely
- Stir in the baby spinach leaves and olives
- Divide into small airtight containers to take to lunch
- refrigerate until required
Top tip: to make a more substantial meal you can add cubed feta, mozzarella, goat’s cheese, ham, cooked chicken, poached salmon or salami to this dish