Rescuers from East Sussex Wildlife Rescue & Ambulance Service (WRAS) Trevor Weeks and Chris Riddington were called out to reports of an emaciated seal near the Boardwalk at Sovereign Harbour Eastbourne on Friday 24th July 2015.


Members of the public reported seeing a small thin seal on the beach, and worried about it being washed out to sea and in distress in the surf.

VIDEO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8sB-jUZkQw

After spending some time walking the shore in the pouring rain, rescuers spotted the seal, who was clearly emaciated, being tossed in the surf and trying to come ashore. Rescuers attempted to contain the seal and at one point even ended up in the sea, but sadly the seal disappeared.


“It was very frustrating as the seal clearly was too weak to climb up the shingle out of the surf, and kept returning to the water. We just couldn’t get close enough quickly enough to catch the  seal.” Said Trevor.


Rescuer eventually left after witnessing the seal hitting one of the groynes hard and then floating out to sea and out of sight.  After monitoring the shore for a while, rescuers left disheartened fearing the worse.


After returning to WRAS’s Casualty Centre and warming up, the rescue phone rang again and the seal had been spotted just inside the harbour on the shingle.


Trevor and Chris once again rushed down and this time the seal was further away from the sea. They were able walk along the shoreline blocking the seal’s escape route back to the water. Chris managed to put a net over the seal whilst Trevor managed to restrain and secure the seal. It was then examined on the beach and found to be very underweight and very cold.


After contacting British Divers Marine Life Rescue and the RSPCA. The seal was then transported straight to RSPCA Mallydams Wood in Hastings to go in their specialist seal facilities.




Press Contact:

Trevor Weeks MBE – 07932523958


About Trevor Weeks

Trevor Weeks MBE Operations Director for East Sussex Wildlife Rescue & Ambulance Service (WRAS) Trevor started undertaking wildlife rescue and conservation work in 1985 when just 13 years old, and his life has been dedicated to the care of wildlife ever since. East Sussex Wildlife Rescue was established as a voluntary group in 1996 and became a registered charity in 2005. WRAS now has four veterinary ambulances and a Casualty Care Centre on the A22 between Hailsham and Uckfield capable of looking after up to 200 casualties at a time. The charity is primarily run by volunteers and relies of donations to fund its award winning life saving service.